The School of Engineering and Architecture of Fribourg (HEIA-FR), a member institution of the Uni- versity of Applied Sciences and Arts of Western Switzerland (HES-SO), offers bilingual study programs at the BA and MA levels. The HEIA-FR invites internal applications to fill the position of:
Research Assistant / Engineer (50-100%)
Your Mission and Scope of Activities
We are looking for a curious, fast-learning computer science or telecom engineer to help us solve complex problems in the field of vehicular communication, including issues of speed, reliability, public safety and tactical applications. Our cluster-based real-time emulation platform is being enhanced with several software tools to generate realistic scenarios, investigate Machine Learning-based optimization algorithms, and analyze the results with an end-user perspective.
- You will work in a cross-disciplinary environment with engineers and researchers. You will actively support our software development on Linux clusters, participate in the design, implementation and testing of algorithms and prototypes, and help us quantify the performance of novel ideas in close-to-real settings using simulations and emulations. Some of our work is and will be available in open source https://gitlab.forge.hefr.ch/predictake.
- Young engineers and post-docs are welcome to apply. We offer a 6- to 12-month position to start with. You will have good opportunities to work with innovative and up-to-date technologies.
- Bachelor, Master or PhD in IT, computer science, data science, or telecom with some background and strong interests in the other fields;
- Good knowledge of modern development tools and languages (Python, Matlab, C/C++, Java. Bash, Git, DevOps, MLOps, OpenAi, PyTorch a plus). Some knowledge of virtual and emulated environments (we use VMware, LXC, a specific open-source EMANE platform to emulate MANETs and OLSRd2);
- Able to translate ideas into specifications, running codes, "easy to grasp" visual results, and appropriate documentation for others to reproduce the results;
- Organized and structured in your work and in initiatives you undertake; able to work independently but also to ask for help or clarification as needed;
- A strong team player who is able to work effectively in an open, collaborative, solution-oriented and agile environment;
- Language: French or German. Technical English.
Fixed-term employment contract: the duration will depend on qualifications and part-time percentage.
Interested ? Send in your complete application by clicking on the Apply («Postuler») button below.